users@jax-rpc.java.net

Re: Using JAX-RPC in place of Apache SOAP

From: Peter C. Tribble <ptribble_at_hgmp.mrc.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 17:52:49 +0000

Sam,

Thanks for the reply.

>>>I m not sure DII is working in the current release of
>>>the JAX-RPC API.

Well, not very well, and it certainly doesn't seem to be the favoured
approach.

>>>The other thing I m not sure is that the return types
>>>of the methods you are talking about are supported.

That does seem to be the problem.

>>>The EA release seems to be rather premature and vague.
>>>There is talk of a "subset" of J2SE classes being
>>>supported but no one knows what that subset is...more
>>>over the Collection classes are not supported unless
>>>you build your own serializers/deserializers.

This is a crucial limitation.

>>>In short,what youre doing probably cant be done right
>>>now.... stay with Apache SOAP till a stable FCS build
>>>is released for JAX-RPC.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for developments on JAX-RPC,
but it's not a high priority right now.

I've also been using Axis (the Apache SOAP follow-on), which seems to
be very similar in terms of coding to JAX-RPC. I've mostly got that to
work, which helps me out a lot in terms of understanding how to approach
JAX-RPC and JAX-RPC's current weaknesses.

-Peter Tribble
HGMP Computing Services
http://www.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk/~ptribble/