dev@javaserverfaces.java.net

[1539-ProjectStageSystemProperty] PROPOSAL

From: Ed Burns <Ed.Burns_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 08:55:19 -0800

PROPOSAL

This will *not* go in the spec, but I propose that existing JSF
implementation coordinate and implement the following behavior.

We introduce a System Property

faces.PROJECT_STAGE

  Rationale for using this name: the context-param for this property is
  "javax.faces.PROJECT_STAGE". I chose not to use the "javax." prefix
  because doing so would be in poor taste. The "javax." prefix is
  intended for things in the specification proper.

  The valid values of this property are exactly as specified in section
  11.1.3. If the System Property is not one of the valid values, the
  other sources for a value for this property are consulted.

  The implementation will interpret this property as an override for all
  other ways of setting the Application.getProjectStage() property.

In addition to the preceding proposal, the implementation will print out
a very prominent log message such as:

*** WARNING: JavaServer Faces is running in DEVELOPMENT mode. ***
*** Do NOT deploy to your live server(s) without changing this. ***
*** See Application#getProjectStage() for more information. ***

Matthias Wessendorf, can you ensure that MyFaces implements it this way?

Ed