users@javaserverfaces-spec-public.java.net

[jsr344-experts mirror] [jsr344-experts] Re: 1012 ExternalContext.getApplicationContextPath()

From: Edward Burns <edward.burns_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 13:44:36 -0800

[...]

NG> Perhaps it would be more straightforward (from the API perspective)
NG> if FacesContextFactory and/or ExternalContextFactory had methods for
NG> acquiring startup instances?

I really like the current arrangement of providing a unified way to
access it whether it's startup time or request processing time.

NG> If not, then given the current startup design of MyFaces and
NG> Mojarra, is it safe to assume that the portlet bridge implementation
NG> of ExternalContext.getApplicationContextPath() would only be called
NG> during a request?

If we specify it that way, it will be that way. It is currently
specified so that getApplicationContextPath() may be called at startup
time. Note that there is no "Portlet:" text in the javadoc for
ExternalContext. I'd like to keep it that way. I could see a need for
it in some kinds of extensions to JSF, so I'd rather not restrict it.

Ed