users@javaserverfaces-spec-public.java.net

[jsr344-experts mirror] [jsr344-experts] Re: [220-ViewStateParamNameOnly] PROPOSAL

From: Martin Marinschek <mmarinschek_at_apache.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 03:09:15 +0100

Hi guys,

why not have the same name for all view state fields in one portlet
(there can be multiple forms, hence multiple view state fields per
portlet). This name would need to include the view-root discriminator.
Javascript code could then search by name - right?

On top, we could have a real unique id per view state field - not sure
if that's then necessary.

As to why this had to be done like it is implemented now: originally,
the view was rebuilt from the state, but if the id of the view state
param was dynamic, you wouldn't know in which param the state resided.
A classic hen and egg problem ;)

Now, if the id is not dynamic, we can always build the view and then
check which param we need to check for the state.

Thinking about this more carefully - wasn't there an extension
recently that some part of the view state is already available when
building the view? Then this new approach with a dynamic name might
cause problems...

best regards,

Martin

--