[jsr372-experts] Working towards Early Draft Review

From: Edward Burns <edward.burns_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 12:08:45 -0700

Hello Volunteers,

You may have seen my colleague John Clingan's blog post updating the
community on the roadmap for Java EE 8 [1]. The most important sentence
has been helpfully bold-faced, and I repeat it here for convenience.

  We are therefore publicly announcing that we are now changing our
  target time frame for the completion of this work to the first half of
  2017.

I'd like to take the opportunity presented by this blog post to sketch
out a plan to have an Early Draft Review (EDR) of the specification
available in time for JavaOne 2015. In my opinion, we need to specify
the following features in order to have something worth calling an EDR:

* Multi-component validation (perhaps this is just showing how to use
  Bean Validation correctly)

* Java SE 8 Date and Time support

* f:socket tag

* Option to render our Ajax traffic using JSON

* Complete CDI alignment already in process

And in addition to that, we need to close out open issues on the mailing
list.

As you know, both Manfred and I are also co-leading other specifications
as well as supporting Mojarra in Oracle products so our time will be
split between JSF and those other efforts. I plan to take each of the
above issues in turn and make steady progress on them as time permits.

Ed

[1] https://blogs.oracle.com/theaquarium/entry/java_ee_8_roadmap_update