users@javaee-spec.java.net

[javaee-spec users] Re: JCache.next (JavaEE alignment)

From: Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibucau_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 22:52:17 +0200

Hi guys,

> Greg, Bill, thanks for the info.
>
> Out of the issues that my previous summary lists as mandatory to target
> Java EE, I see that classloading behavior is planned to be specified by the
> upcoming JCache 1.1 (issues #353 and #358 in the list sent by Greg).
>
> What remains is to define default JNDI names and introduce a cache
> descriptor:
>
> 1. Deciding on JNDI name for CacheManager and CachingProvider should be
> quick and pretty obvious.

Is it an option to decide to not do it? I mean default jndi names are quite
an issue by themself in particular when not under control. Caching is
pretty close to tuning so having a default sounds like having something
polluting more than helping. Also integrated with CDI JNDI is pretty
legacy. It was useful with JPA cause of [non-]jta-datasource but for JCache
it doesn't make sense to me.

> 2. Cache descriptor is much more work to do, but there already is a
> proposal and sample impl at https://github.com/Adopt-a-
> JSR/jcache-javaee#cache-descriptor. I suggest to go with something simple
> but usable, and possibly extend in later JCache versions

Is that so important? Most of the JCache usages I saw were relying on a
very custom configuration for the JCache configuration itself (embed in the
application configuration) and provider specific descriptor loaded from
outside the application to let them be tunable and managed by ops teams.