users@javaee-spec.java.net

[javaee-spec users] Re: JCache.next (JavaEE alignment)

From: Ondrej Mihályi <ondrej.mihalyi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 21:54:52 +0200

Greg, Bill, thanks for the info.

Out of the issues that my previous summary lists as mandatory to target
Java EE, I see that classloading behavior is planned to be specified by the
upcoming JCache 1.1 (issues #353 and #358 in the list sent by Greg).

What remains is to define default JNDI names and introduce a cache
descriptor:

1. Deciding on JNDI name for CacheManager and CachingProvider should be
quick and pretty obvious.
2. Cache descriptor is much more work to do, but there already is a
proposal and sample impl at
https://github.com/Adopt-a-JSR/jcache-javaee#cache-descriptor. I suggest to
go with something simple but usable, and possibly extend in later JCache
versions

I would also try to align the API with Java 8 (e.g. add Cache.stream()
along with existing Cache.iterator()) and add some CDI qualifiers and
producers, but that could go to Java EE 9 if not enough time.

Would you please provide feedback on whether the above 2 points plus
classloading should be sufficient to accept JCache as part of JavaEE? Or
any other issues come to mind?

Cheers,
Ondrej