users@javaee-spec.java.net

[javaee-spec users] Re: Repeatable Annotation Support for Java EE 8 APIs [adopt-a-jsr] [istanbul-jug]

From: arjan tijms <arjan.tijms_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 22:55:34 +0200

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 10:33 PM, Linda DeMichiel <
linda.demichiel_at_oracle.com> wrote:

> However, we are not planning to update specs that would not be updated
> except for repeating annotations.

If you mean that just repeating annotations would be too small for a MR,
then I'm sure that for the majority of those specs some additional small
additions or clarifications can be found. From what I've witnessed in the
past, a MR can be completed in a relatively small amount of time, can't it?

Slightly offtopic, or perhaps not, but I have to say that waiting for
individual specs to plan an update for something that is in fact part of a
bigger topic or epic, is a bit of a non-optimal point in the Java EE spec
and JCP process.

We strived in the past to split out several concerns to individual specs.
This is often a good thing indeed, but if it turns out to be so difficult
now to add tiny small things to a whole slew of specs, because for each a
planning needs to be in place that is not there, then this is perhaps not
so much of an improvement.

For example, if JSF still had its own EL, we (JSF EG) could fairly
trivially make a small change there. But now EL is a separate spec, and
just because there is no update for it planned, that exact same code change
suddenly becomes practically impossible. Not because of a technical
challenge, but because of administrative obstacles.

I think it was never quite the idea to intentionally put those roadblocks
in place, was it?

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms