users@javaee-spec.java.net

[javaee-spec users] Re: [jsr366-experts] Standardizing logging

From: Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibucau_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 09:18:30 +0200

Well, deprecation part doesnt affect the main topic IMO.

Having a standard will not solve the logging aggregation if it is not in
the JVM (ie if done at EE level). Just check how EE sub spec are accepted
or not. They are often integrated but not the default - for good or bad
reason.

The fact there are so much logging frameworks on github doesn't mean a spec
would solve it. These projects are sometimes the same (thanks git
modularization) and moreover it mixes API and implementation - thing a spec
can't change since it would provide API mainly.

My main question is what do you miss or what don't you like in JUL. While
you say a standard it doesn't help to go further IMO. Creating a spec or
"fixing" JUL is not the same pain at all and I really think JUL is not that
far from being usable (in particular since java 8) + it is the standard
since it is in the JVM.

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau> | Blog
<http://www.tomitribe.com>