users@javaee-spec.java.net

[javaee-spec users] Re: [jsr342-experts] Wish-List for EE 8

From: arjan tijms <arjan.tijms_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 00:54:13 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 8:52 PM, Peter Pilgrim <peter.pilgrim_at_gmail.com>wrote:

> As for the EJB vs CDI container, I think this is one for the implementors.
> Can EJBs be built entirely from CDI APIs ?

One of those implementors, David Blevins, wrote an extremely interesting
article about this exact topic a while back:
http://blog.dblevins.com/2012/11/cdi-when-to-break-out-ejbs.html

Specifically regarding how EJB and CDI beans are implemented he wrote:

*"So in a fundamental level, anything you can do with an "EJB" bean you
should be able to do with a "CDI" bean. Under the covers it's awfully hard
to tell them apart. All the plumbing is the same with the exception of how
instances are resolved."*
*
*
I'm not an EJB or CDI implementor, but judging from that statement I would
carefully guess the answer to "Can EJBs be built entirely from CDI APIs"
might indeed be yes.

> I would be interested in Java EE 8 discussion at JavaOne. On the other
> hand, as somebody who sees Java EE 6 issues, WebSphere 7 today, JAX-RPC
> incompatible development libraries with Xerces, and other stuff. We still
> have a long way to go in industry. Getting to people to look at Java EE 7
> is still path to be conquered.

Certainly, but I think it are just several tracks that should happen in
parallel.

Vendors are still busy getting their Java EE 6 implementations to be rock
solid (e.g. JBoss EAP 6.1, WebSphere & Liberty 8.5.5 and WebLogic 12.1.2
are all rather recent Java EE 6 releases), while at the same time early
Java EE 7 implementations are arriving that probably for some time to come
will mainly be used by a small group of enthusiasts, and parallel to that
initial planning for Java EE 8 can be done.

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms