users@javaee-spec.java.net

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Wish-List for EE 8

From: Antonio Goncalves <antonio.goncalves_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 10:32:47 +0200

I think that is two different topics.

Back at Devoxx BE 2009, Java EE 6 was going to be released and there was
already talks about "Java EE 7 and the Cloud". Being involved in Java EE
and the JCP, plenty of people came to me saying "really, Java EE 7 and the
Cloud ?". I felt I had nothing to say : no consultation between spec leads
and expert members. If I go to a 1h BOF at JavaOne about Java EE 8, what
would I say ? I don't know what the spec leads have in mind. I don't know
what Java EE 8 will be. I would just seat in the room and listen.

What I am proposing is : let's kickoff Java EE 8, at least, between spec
leads and expert members (if "adoptajsr" adepts want to join, great), agree
on a road map, and then, we can all go to BOFs, conferences, gatherings...
and present what Java EE 8 will be. With Java EE 7 I would always started
my presentations saying "Oracle wants Cloud in Java EE 7, but most of the
expert members don't". That's not a very positive message and doesn't bring
cohesion to the group.

Antonio