users@javaee-spec.java.net

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Clarification on Default resources

From: Kevin Sutter <sutter_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 10:56:25 -0500

Hi Linda,

> I'm not sure whether your interpretation is in agreement with what
> I've written. Can you confirm?

Unfortunately, no... I won't speak for David's situation with OpenEJB and
TomEE, but from a WebSphere perspective, this interpretation puts us in a
pickle... WebSphere provides default bindings based on the name of the
resource. So, something like this would map to two separate datasources
due to the default bindings that WebSphere utilized prior to Java EE 7:

@Resource
DataSource myDS;
@Resource
DataSource myDStoo;

With your stated interpretation, both of these datasources (myDS and
myDStoo) would map to the same datasource that is defined at
"java:comp/DefaultDataSource", correct?

I believe your interpretation and expectation, Linda. I just wonder
whether Werner and David had the same interpretation... Maybe I'm the
only one in left field. Thanks.

Kevin Sutter, Java EE and Java Persistence API (JPA) architect
mail: sutter_at_us.ibm.com, Kevin Sutter/Rochester/IBM
http://webspherepersistence.blogspot.com/
phone: tl-553-3620 (office), 507-253-3620 (office)
http://openjpa.apache.org/

Linda DeMichiel <linda.demichiel_at_oracle.com> wrote on 06/05/2013 06:09:45
PM: