users@javaee-spec.java.net

[javaee-spec users] Re: [jsr342-experts] Re: transactional interceptors and lifecycle methods

From: michael keith <michael.keith_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 14:43:01 -0400

I may be tainted by the past, but interceptors were initially defined to
apply to EJB business methods, i.e. methods that were invoked by
clients. Life cycle methods obviously don't fall into that category and
tend not to need to be intercepted. It is certainly the case that they
have not traditionally needed transactions, and arguably seldom will, so
setting the default to create a transaction to execute what is typically
non-transactional logic is clearly going to be less than optimal. Dunno,
but to me #1 looks like the most natural and reasonable option, and I
don;t see it as hard to understand at all when the definition of
interception is based on non-system method invocations. Like I said,
though, my historical baggage could be affecting my vision.