users@javaee-spec.java.net

[javaee-spec users] Re: [JAX-RS vs JSF] Why having two web app frameworks is not a bad thing

From: Adam Walczak <me_at_adamwalczak.info>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 03:46:34 +0100

Some other comments from DZome.

*Grzegorz Grzybek:*

Decouple Facelets from JSF and even HTTP to make it a general XML/STML
> templating language. Almost every web applications sends HTML emails for
> example and we have no standard way to generate them.

There are such templating engines as Velocity, Freemarker or (recent, very
active and promising) Thymeleaf. Thymeleaf may be used outside any
container and allows for natural templating - i.e., writing templates that
will look the same when opened both from local disk and in working
application. As for facelets - if it were decoupled from JSF (maybe that's
possible?) it could be used as template engine... regards Grzegorz Grzybek

*My response:*

Yes I know. I even experimented with Freemarker + RestEasy + Seam Rest.
Nice combo.

But this also proves that the topic of tempting engines is mature enough to
include it in the standard. I think that Facelets would be the way to go in
JavaEE. The implementation is already there. It just has the design flaw of
being hardwired to Servlets, HTTP, JSF, etc.

--
Adam Walczak
www.adamwalczak.info