users@javaee-spec.java.net

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

From: Werner Keil <werner.keil_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 22:09:45 +0200

Bill,

Thanks a lot for the input.
I can't entirely speak for Antonio, but one aspect of what he does seem to
hope is something more along the lines of SLF4J. A far more flexible and
versatile aporoach than, sorry to say java.util.logging.

As for JSRs lead by Individuals, Academics (like Doug Lea) or lose groups
of people neither affiliated with Oracle or Red Hat (the two companies with
by far the largest contribution to JSRs) how about JSR 310, aiming at
another java.util problem child, and hopefully making it into Java 8
Or the 2 winners of JCP Awards 2010, JSR 321 and 331, both lead by
Individuals or smaller (Academic) entities.
CDI foundation JSR 330 was also lead by Individual Member Bob Lee, though
when he started it he still worked for Google.

We haven't seen any JUG or its Representative effectively leading a JSR as
Spec Lead, but I also won't leave out the JUG Initiatives like Adopt-a-JSR,
which helped JSRs, not just some I mentioned already. Thus there is no
doubt, should somebody like Antonio succeed in getting such JSR created,
those would also support it and add recources where they should be as
scarce as 310 Spec Lead Stephen Colebourne found them at times.

I won't go further into the "Transplant JSR" proposal, as we still
negotiate these tools in the EC/358EG, but the aim expressed by former
Intel EC Rep Wayne Carr was to avoid "Reinventing the Wheel" and allowing
established or otherwise standardized technologies to enter the JCP more
easily.

Kind Regards,
Werner