users@javaee-spec.java.net

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Improved Credential and SSL Configuration for EE 7

From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 16:37:42 -0700

Werner Keil wrote on 05/24/2012 04:14 AM:

> A related issue that we haven't addressed yet is the ability to provide
> per-tenant "customizations" for a multi-tenant SaaS app.
>
> I would recommend that we use one of these mechanisms to address this concern
> rather than invent a new capability just for this.
>

> Especially the multi-tenant capability where tenants are usually added on the
> fly during application runtime means, there must be a separate source.
> Nobody seriously wants to touch their WAR or EAR file just to add a new tenant
> Either a structure that supports multiple tenants in one file or even adding
> files for new tenants should be considered. At least this must be reloaded,
> ideally avoiding an app server restart which may violate SLAs, even if you
> normally have clusters which could reduce the burden of restart and availability.
There may be a misunderstanding hiding in here...

The multi-tenant or SaaS model we're supporting for Java EE 7 assumes that each
tenant gets their own copy of the application. The application package won't
know anything about any of the tenants. There is no need to notify a running
application of the addition of a new tenant. Instead, a new application
instance is started for the new tenant.

Obviously this isn't ideal, but until we have better resource management and
isolation in the JDK, it's hard to do much better.