jsr342-experts@javaee-spec.java.net

[jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

From: Werner Keil <werner.keil_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 15:19:29 +0200

Antonio/all,

Thanks a lot for the update. Congratulations on that, I guess similar as
JSRs 310 or 354 aiming to soothe some pain old and rarely improved parts of
"java.util" packages are causing ever since, you must also have hit a sweet
spot[?]

Both 310 and 354 show, there's active development even on "official" JSRs,
via GitHub, so if enough support was expected, why not propose a JSR. What
many of us working on certain JSRs may know, is that active committers to
this code regardless of the repository host would end up not only having to
sign the JSPA, but eventually that OCA, given such a JSR is likely to
influence various parts of the Java platform over time. And JSRs catering
to let's say Glassfish also are affected by that (so those Spec Leads told
us)

The only other alternative you could sure chose was the "Agorava Way" to
proof there's enough momentum behind such initiative, create a new project
at GitHub for people to contribute immediately without significant legal
burden. You might want to chose the license carefully, but it may not
require either JSPA, OCA or similar agreements at this time.

A working implementation of the "Transplant JSR" proposal to JCP.next would
certainly help if you plan to contribute that to a future JSR or Java
Platform distribution via the JCP[?]

Kind Regards,
--
Werner Keil | JCP Executive Committee Member | Eclipse UOMo Lead
Twitter @wernerkeil | #Java_Social | #EclipseUOMo | #OpenDDR
Skype werner.keil | Google+ gplus.to/wernerkeil
* Eclipse Day Krakow: September 13 2012, Krakow, Poland. Werner Keil,
Eclipse Committer, UOMo Lead, Mærsk Build Manager will present "Eclipse
STEM, UOMo and Hudson"
* Chip-to-Cloud Security Forum: September 19 2012, Nice, French Riviera.
Werner Keil, JCP Executive Committee, JSR-321 EG Member will present
"Trusted Computing API for Java™"
* Eclipse Day Delft: September 27 2012, Delft, Netherlands. Werner Keil,
Eclipse Committer, UOMo Lead, Mærsk Build Manager will present "Triple-E
class Continuous Delivery with Hudson, Maven and Mylyn"
* JavaOne: September 30-October 4 2012, San Francisco, USA. Werner Keil,  JCP
Executive Committee Member will present "Standards for the Future of Java
Embedded", "Eclipse UOMo, STEM, and JSRs e.g. 331 or JCP.next"
* DevoXX: November 13 2012, Antwerp, Belgium. Werner Keil, JCP EC Member
and Agorava Committer, will present "Java Social JSR, it's alive"
On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Antonio Goncalves <
antonio.goncalves_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Just to let you know that my blog has been viewed by 1401 people in the
> last 24 hours and I've received many tweets and comments... mostly by
> developers who struggle on a day to day basis with logs.
>
> Bill, Linda, shall we go a little bit further and have Oracle clearly
> support this effort ? I think individual developers are scared to put their
> finger into the JCP : it's much easier to create a GitHub repository and
> create a new/funny logging framework than fill JSPA forms to become spec
> lead. If you think this Logging API JSR is important (inside Java EE 7 or
> not, that's not the issue now, but just to have a JSR), then it would
> encourage developers if you would publicly (blog ? tweet ?)  support the
> idea and encourage them to become spec lead.
>
> What do you think ?
>
> Antonio
>

> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Werner Keil <werner.keil_at_gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> ...will be, it hasn't happened yet, sorry.
>

> --
> Antonio Goncalves
> Software architect and Java Champion
>
> Web site <http://www.antoniogoncalves.org> | Twitter<http://twitter.com/agoncal>|