jsr342-experts@javaee-spec.java.net

[jsr342-experts] Re: Minimal profile ?

From: David Blevins <david.blevins_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 12:27:43 -0700

On Jul 2, 2012, at 9:44 AM, Antonio Goncalves wrote:

> My fear is that we will still see "Tomcat-like" applications and "EE-like" application running on different app server vendors. But well, we have done that for many years now, a few extra won't hurt

I really really hope TomEE can address that. I don't mean that as a plug for TomEE but as a very direct "I hear you and agree on the severity of the problem". Not just agree but to the point where even though I work on Geronimo and already had "a server to sell" it was clear until Tomcat was certified we'd be stuck in this pattern. I hope TomEE can help close the gap between Tomcat and JavaEE. It'll take time though.

On the profile subject, there are a lot of things Tomcat has chosen not to support:

 - @DataSourceDefinition
 - @Resource(lookup="..")
 - <env-entry> of type Class or Enum;
 - Global JNDI
 - nearly all built-in java:comp/foo objects
 - TransactionManager or UserTransaction
 - JPA (@PersistenceContext or @PersistenceUnit or JTA-managed EntityManagers)

Not a complete list, but gives an idea of the gaps.

I suspect even if we created a Minimal Profile with Tomcat in mind and it included any of the above, Tomcat would not support it.

-David