jsr342-experts@javaee-spec.java.net

[jsr342-experts] Re: [javaee-spec users] Re: Java EE logo

From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 13:51:09 -0700

Markus Eisele wrote on 04/10/12 02:55:
> Hi Antonio,
>
> I like the idea but I am not sure if this is a good one to everybody.
> There is already some kind of "logo". The compatibility logo
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javaee/overview/compatibility-jsp-136984.html
> Introducing an additional one would have the drawback that both needs
> to be aligned in order
> to have a high recognition value and prevent confusion.
>
> A word towards JSF. The difference here to me is, that Ed sees Mojarra
> as a separate product.
> So he has every right and an interest to have a separate marketing
> approach here. For Java EE there are
> the compatible implementations which make up Java EE. Not sure if I
> hit the point here clear enough.
>
> What I would support is, that we start using the compatibility logo
> without the word "compatible"
> as a visual for all official documents, java.net project and so on.
> I would highly appreciate if Linda or Bill could provide additional
> support from Oracle's marketing/design
> team here to find a good/matching logo combination!

I'm sure the Oracle trademark lawyers would have concerns about reusing
the existing logo in that way, and I'm sure they would not want us to
create a new "brand identity" logo to represent the Java EE platform.

All Java EE compatible products should be using the existing logo.

Note that the Java EE RI (GlassFish) has its own logo.