jsr342-experts@javaee-spec.java.net

[jsr342-experts] Re: resource configuration metadata options

From: Reza Rahman <reza_rahman_at_lycos.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 14:46:06 -0400

Linda,

Overall, this looks good and is a timely change (I do have some concerns
though). Detailed feedback below:

* ISSUE 1: Should we support the use of annotations for resource
configuration (in addition to DataSourceDefinition) or should we require
that resource configurability metadata be specified in XML?
- The annotations should definitely be supported. Although a majority of
production applications are unlikely to use annotations for resource
configuration, they are very valuable for RoR style RAD development and
minimizing XML.

* ISSUE 2: If we support the use of annotations, which of the above
approaches should we take -- resource-specific or generic?
- The generic annotation approach is very tempting, but does have some
significant problems. Besides being less type-safe, they are also not
very self-contained/self-documenting and hence much less usable. They
could have been workable if the different resource types had more in
common, but they really don't (besides some superficial similarities in
properly names). I think we should avoid the generic annotation approach
or reserve it for cases where containers use them to allow for
configuring resources outside the common types. If we do have a generic
annotation for edge cases, it is probably best to coordinate with an
active JCA EG on that annotation since most if not all resources
configured this way are likely to be JCA resources.

* ISSUE 3: How should we name the standard properties? Do they require
a "package"-specific prefix?
- If we retain the generic annotation approach for provider-specific
edge cases, we should recommend that properties use sensible
"package"-specific prefixes. The issue is that although property names
might be similar, their meaning and usage patterns would likely be very
different depending on the actual resource type, so they should be
categorized and documented separately.

* ISSUE 4: If we take a generic approach, should we use this for
DataSourceDefinition as well, treating the existing DataSourceDefinition
annotation and XML as "legacy"?
- I think it was done right in Java EE 6 in the first place. For
example, Resin has always had cleanly separated XML tags for database,
JMS, etc resource configuration.

* ISSUE 5: Which XML format should we use? Resource-specific or generic?
- Resource specific for "well known" resources and generic for the
others that would be provider specific with some usage guidelines.

* ISSUE 6: Should we support the use of annotations for the
specification of per-tenant reconfigurability?
- As you know, I (and others) expressed concerns around cloud support in
the past. I think this issue crystallizes some of those concerns. What I
see as largely an edge case (multi-tenant Java EE applications that
require a tenant-specific override) would complicate a far more
mundane/common use case (deploying a resource in a vanilla Java EE
application). I think we should reconsider if this particular cloud
feature is really needed. If it is not, we could avoid this bit of
complexity altogether. Multi-tenant enabled application developers would
simply have to let deployers know what resources need to be overriden
via more traditional forms of documentation without any container
intervention (something they would likely need to do anyway). If we
still think this is something that is really needed, it should be
supported in annotations as well as XML. Having something in XML and not
in annotations (or vice versa) is likely to be confusing.

* ISSUE 7: If we support the use of annotations for the specification
of per-tenant reconfigurability, which approach should we take.
- If this feature is indeed needed, I think using resource-specific
annotations with separate typed elements is the least worst. It is the
most type-safe and self-documenting, but it will cause annotation bloat.
All these options cause additional complexity for resource configuration
in non-cloud applications. I could not think of an alternate way that
avoids the complexity while still supporting this feature.

* ISSUE 8: Which approach should we take for the specification of
per-tenant reconfigurability using XML: type-specific XML elements or
generic resource-definition elements?
- As stated above, type-specific elements are far more
readable/self-documenting and less verbose (even more so in XML than in
annotations).

ISSUE 9: Should resource configuration definitions be embedded in the
existing descriptors or should there be a separate XML descriptor?
- I think the decision in Java EE 6 to utilize the existing descriptors
is the correct one. It avoids adding yet another Java EE deployment
descriptor instead of just putting resource definitions in
application.xml, web.xml, beans.xml, etc. Resin has done
application-specific resource deployment for ages and we've never seen a
need to create a separate descriptor for resources. Similarly, Spring
allows for resource definition in it's application context descriptors.
I think creating a separate descriptor adds little value and goes
against the norm for server-side Java development.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,
Reza