jsr342-experts@javaee-spec.java.net

[jsr342-experts] Re: Configuration

From: Reza Rahman <reza_rahman_at_lycos.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 10:06:48 -0400

Kristoffer,

To be completely honest with you, we don't see a big customer demand for deployment-time/run-time administration of deployment descriptors (I know that's probably crazy talk in Java EE land with all of our Java EE roles :-)). In our design we have the capability to bind values from a property like this:${some.value}. The property could either come from a property file (pre-pended by the property file name if needed or get overridden by a system/environment property if needed). Admins could change those values if they like. From my consulting days though, I haven't seen many admins too eager to muck with application meta-data :-).

I do understand that increasing deployment descriptor flexibility could make administration tools development harder. It's just that I think it is the right trade-off to make. On the other hand, it wouldn't be so bad to have the run-time administration toolsjust look like XML property editors would it?

I am not sure about the configuration API part. Do we really need it since reading XML is so trivial? There really is no practical reason you could not use a CDI/EJB SPI to do any kind of run-time configuration change (proprietary or otherwise)? That's what we do for CDI right now anyway -- we parse/read the custom beans.xml and pass on the meta-data via the CDI portable extensions SPI to the CDI implementation (that's right now our own implementation).

Cheers,
Reza