users@javaee-security-spec.java.net

[javaee-security-spec users] [jsr375-experts] Re: Fwd: EG F2F minutes from JavaOne 2016

From: arjan tijms <arjan.tijms_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 09:20:58 +0200

hi,

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 8:39 AM, Ivar Grimstad <ivar.grimstad_at_gmail.com>
wrote:

> Most projects I am involved in manage their own users. That means that my
> application's UserService will need to update/insert to the
> userPrincipal/UserRole tables that e.g. WildFly is configured with. It will
> also need to know the password encryption/hashing algorithm that are
> configured for the domain to be able to support "change
> password"/"forgotten password" functionality.

Same here, but it then happens the other way around; WildFly is configured
with an "identity store" that internally uses a UserService that uses said
userPrincipal/UserRole tables and hashing algorithm. The application can
access this same UserService directly, and thus everyone is happy.

WildFly can get users (credentials/groups) from the configured identity
store, and the application can additionally insert/update/delete users.

In that setup there's no configuration that only WildFly and not the app
knows about.

> That kind of destroys portability for these applications (even if that
> usually is no issue as we tend to stay with the same application server).

Likewise here ;)

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms