users@javaee-security-spec.java.net

[javaee-security-spec users] [jsr375-experts] Re: Moving the security JSR(s) forward

From: arjan tijms <arjan.tijms_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2016 11:21:34 +0200

Hi Jeff.

Nice to see your mail, I somehow overlooked this last week so apologies for
the late reply.

The two track approach looks very good. The current work done in JSR 375,
specifically the authentication mechanism and the identity store should be
a really good foundation for specifically OAuth and OpenIDConnect.

As you probably know, JSR 375 is itself based on the existing work done in
Java EE for Servlet, JASPIC and JACC, which saved us from having to
re-invent the wheel and leveraging what has already been done there.

Although it's not a blocker for JSR 375, it would be good if some
clarifications were added to specifically JASPIC in a MR. JSR 375 makes a
few assumptions that are quite obvious (such as that an authentication
session remembers both the principal name and the groups of a caller), but
that aren't as clearly spelled out in the JASPIC spec as they could be.

About the cloud topic, the existing JSR for 375 doesn't mention it so much,
but most of the work that we've done (at least from my personal point of
view) has been for cloud really. I recognise that on premise is still
important as well, so I think whatever we do should not exclude that, but
cloud friendly (where users and services register themselves instead of
expecting an admin prepared application server) has been the major focus
all along.

Although not in the main repo yet, EG member Rudy has provided a POC JWT
support for JSR 375. See https://github.com/rdebusscher/soteria-jwt

There's also an OAuth POC available from myself here:
https://github.com/omnifaces/soteria-google-oauth-client

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms