users@javaee-security-spec.java.net

[javaee-security-spec users] [jsr375-experts] Re: Re: 1-TerminologyAuthInteractionVsStore ACTION: cast vote

From: arjan tijms <arjan.tijms_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 17:13:38 +0200

p.s.

I just noticed that the Servlet spec is in fact using both terms as well.

This is most evident in (emphasis mine)

13.6:

Authentication

A web client can authenticate a user to a web server using one of the
following
*mechanisms*:

* HTTP Basic Authentication
* HTTP Digest Authentication
* HTTPS Client Authentication
* Form Based Authentication

13.6.5:

Additional Container Authentication *Mechanisms*

Servlet containers should provide public interfaces that may be used to
integrate and
configure additional HTTP message layer *authentication mechanisms* for use
by the
container on behalf of deployed applications.

And in 14.4:

The login-config is used to configure the *authentication method* that
should
be used, the realm name that should be used for this application, and the
attributes that are needed by the form login *mechanism*. The sub-element
auth-
method configures the *authentication mechanism* for the Web application.

In fact, despite the web.xml element being called "auth-method", the spec
actually seems to have more references to "authentication mechanism" than
it has to "authentication method" or "auth-method" (although search in PDF
is not 100% accurate).

Maybe it's an issue that should be raised with the Servlet spec as well.

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms

graycol.gif
(image/gif attachment: graycol.gif)