[jsr375-experts] Re: [javaee-security-spec users] Re: EG logistics

From: Les Hazlewood <les_at_stormpath.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 14:49:24 -0700

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 2:37 PM, arjan tijms <arjan.tijms_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 9:52 PM, Les Hazlewood <les_at_stormpath.com> wrote:
> > Where is discussion of design and features to be done? I see many Jira
> > issues (presumably that are up for discussion), and thoughts/concepts in
> > emails. Should we discuss as Jira comments? Or email thread posts?
>
> The way that the process is mostly carried out in the other EGs is
> that JIRA issues are created, which are then discussed on the EG
> mailing list.

I think creating Jira issues before a high level outline or 'epics' or
'stories' (or 'topics' and 'sub topics') are defined is backwards.
Shouldn't we all be on the same page and have an understanding of the
higher level picture and (general) topics/sub-topics before we go debating
specific features and tasks? The JSR is a good start, but too high level,
and Jira issues are too low level (IMHO). More, they are myopic: when
looking at a single jira issue, I can't see how it relates to other issues,
where it aligns with other issues in its 'category', or where it fits in
the general scheme of things.

In other words, Jira is an issue tracker - it is marginal at best for
feature management (whereas, Confluence - as just one of many examples - is
better for that).

My .02,

Les