[jsr375-experts] Re: EG logistics

From: arjan tijms <arjan.tijms_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 22:37:49 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 9:52 PM, Les Hazlewood <les_at_stormpath.com> wrote:
> Where is discussion of design and features to be done? I see many Jira
> issues (presumably that are up for discussion), and thoughts/concepts in
> emails. Should we discuss as Jira comments? Or email thread posts?

The way that the process is mostly carried out in the other EGs is
that JIRA issues are created, which are then discussed on the EG
mailing list.

At least for JSR 372 (JSF 2.3) after a certain level of consensus is
reached someone then does an implementation of the idea and attaches
this as a changebundle to the JIRA issue, after which everyone gets a
chance to look at said implementation. If no one has any objections,
the changebundle is then committed to the repository by the spec lead
or co-sped lead.

Maybe its helpful to look at the introduction mail of that EG:
https://java.net/projects/javaserverfaces-spec-public/lists/jsr372-experts/archive/2014-09/message/0

Here's a (hopefully) clear example of the JIRA issue, followed by a
discussion, a changeset, a vote of sorts and finally the commit of the
code and creation of text for the spec document:
https://java.net/projects/javaserverfaces-spec-public/lists/jsr372-experts/archive/2015-02/message/44

Not every EG follows the exact same steps, but in broad lines I think
they do. Some differences are that the CDI EG for example has a
periodic scheduled IRC chat, while the JSF EG doesn't have that. The
CDI EG also now and then puts documents with technical designs up on
Google docs, where others can comment on it and/or make corrections.

I do think the IRC chat is particularly convenient.

In the welcome mail a web conference was proposed. I'm not 100% sure
if that refers to a voice teleconference, but if it does then I have
to say that from personal experience I'm not a big fan of that. Voice
over the Internet remains a sub-optimal thing, especially when many
parties are involved. Call-in is almost always to an American number,
which may not be possible/allowed to dial for people who happen to be
at their office. And seeing that we're such an international team,
accents may make it extra difficult to hear what's being said via
communication lines that are already low quality. Just my 2 cents ;)

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms