users@grizzly.java.net

Re: Grizzly Webserver

From: Jeanfrancois Arcand <Jeanfrancois.Arcand_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 13:06:16 -0500

Salut,

Richard Corsale wrote:
> ok, so I have to ask :) after yesterday's webinar , I was really interested to hear about gf3 embeded. It seems that for web server functionality, I mean the core of the http web server were (the Grizzly community) using the javax webserver and http-servlet.jar?
>
> <Suggestive Statement>
> hmm, I wonder what benefit we gain by reproducing their work in these areas? I don't mean to sound like an ass. :).

They are reproducing our work :-) We support embedded since day 1 of
Grizzly :-) Another big difference is they bundle a lot more classes
than us. As an example, the Servlet Container is just 800k where in the
v3 embed case, 9m. That's the difference :-) They both have their nice
IMO. If you need a full blown AppServer then v3 Embed is the choice. If
you want to extend a simple WebServer, the Grizzly is the way to go. If
you look at the architecture document from here (at the end), you will
see that without grizzly Embed, there is no v3 :-)

  Im just proposing (out of total ignorance mind you :) ) that if we can
eliminate the separate web servers (webserver-comet, webserver-cometd ..
etc. and focus on tight integration with GF3 as the core, perhaps the
project would be better served? We (again, by we I mean you :) ) could
ship a solid standalone server that comes optimized for Grizzly yet
supports J2EE standards without us having to ever think about it. I'm
sure you could get a license at a reasonable price :).

This is what we are doing with v3 already :-) We gives them all that we
have and they build on top of it. But that doesn't mean we cannot have
our own :-)

Remember, they build on top of us :-)

> I'm using the embeded webserver for development right now and I wonder about deployment issues (SX3) stability, security, scalability. Things that I'm sure the GF team take into account on a daily basis

Yes, but like said they "just" extend us, hence we have the same
scalability/performance/etc. than us because v3 is "just" wrapping us :-)

A+

-- Jeanfrancois