users@grizzly.java.net

Re: [Proposals] Rename jars file, release 1.7.0

From: charlie hunt <charlie.hunt_at_sun.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 15:34:32 -0600

Harsha Godugu wrote:
> Jeanfrancois Arcand wrote:
>> Harsha Godugu wrote:

>>> May not be enough :-)
>>> Can we make it a bit simpler. Like providing a script or runtime api
>>> to know the current version of Grizzly.
>>> (This should check the checksum of the said Grizzly jar and then if
>>> and only if the checksum is matches the released/promoted jar , it
>>> should output the current version of Grizzly at that instant. Else,
>>> it should say fingerprints do not match !)
>>
>> That requires a lot of works (Maven does that BTW when downloading
>> the jars) :-) Would you volunteer to do it? I'm all for it :-) At
>> least can you file an RFE so we don't forget?
> Ok, I will file an RFE and can volunteer for this work. (with a
> Priority p3). I will check with Ken C too.
>
> For now, the other proposed code (by Alan W) seems like easy. But, we
> shouldn't hard code the version numbers. These should be generated
> during the build time. And the proposed class file should read that
> information from (say) a build file and then use that data to let the
> user know the current version.

I don't particularly like the idea of reading from a file at runtime.
That could become a performance issue.

I'd rather see the version number get populated in the java source file
at build time as part of the grizzly build procedure. Perhaps that's
the place where a version number is read from a file, (at grizzly build
time, not runtime)? I think maintaining the version number should be
something that is part of the release procedure.

charlie ...