dev@grizzly.java.net

Re: Tutorial Contribution

From: charlie hunt <charlie.hunt_at_sun.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 15:33:12 -0500

Ken Cavanaugh wrote:
> Sven Reimers wrote:
>> Yes you were right. An updated version is available from the
>> updatecenter, where you originally got the plugin from.
>>
>> Thank for pointing out the defect.
>>
>> Hope it works for you now - nothing better than a satisfied and happy
>> customer ;-)
>>
>> -
> Unfortunately it still doesn't work. After upgrading to the latest
> FindBugs plugin,
> I took a copy of my current CORBA development workspace, started NB 5.5
> under JDK 6u2, compiled the project, and clicked on FindBugs. I let
> it run for
> about an hour or so, but it still did not complete. All that FindBugs
> says is
> "FindBugs - [Unknown Progress-state] Java CORBA Development: codegen
> workspace"
> (the end of that is the current name of the project).
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken.

Take a look at one of my latter notes to Sven. In particular:

> I had to increase the size of the Java heap specified for NetBeans IDE
> in NetBean's configuration file, <netbeans install
> dir>/etc/netbeans.conf. I had to increase the max Java heap size to
> -Xmx768m. It ran out of memory at -Xmx512m which is quite a bit
> larger than the default NetBeans ships with.
>
> I initially thought there might have been a memory leak in FingBugs
> some where. But, after I forced a Full GC after the FindBugs results
> were displayed, the live data in the Java heap shrank from 493m to
> 90m. So, I think that's pretty clear evidence that there's no memory
> leak.

The FindBugs module itself uses an awful lot of Java heap.

I had to configure a Java heap of -Xmx768m in order for it to complete
successfully.

The reason your experiment didn't complete is likely due to the Java
heap not being large enough and a never ending cycle of Full GC's.

This is not an issue with the Sven's FindBug's plug-in, it bug with
FindBugs itself.

hths,

charlie ...