dev@grizzly.java.net

Re: Tutorial Contribution

From: charlie hunt <charlie.hunt_at_sun.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 15:24:40 -0500

FYI ... I have tested Sven's latest update to the NetBeans FindBugs
plug-in and it indeed does work with NetBeans free form projects.

I'm familiar with Ken's project and it's a rather larger NetBeans free
form project.

I have it working with Ken's project. But, I had to increase the size
of the Java heap specified for NetBeans IDE in NetBean's configuration
file, <netbeans install dir>/etc/netbeans.conf. I had to increase the
max Java heap size to -Xmx768m. It ran out of memory at -Xmx512m which
is quite a bit larger than the default NetBeans ships with.

I initially thought there might have been a memory leak in FingBugs some
where. But, after I forced a Full GC after the FindBugs results were
displayed, the live data in the Java heap shrank from 493m to 90m. So,
I think that's pretty clear evidence that there's no memory leak. But,
it does appear that on some really large jar files and/or projects,
FindBugs is gonna require quite a bit of memory. That may be a side
effect of FindBugs itself and not necessarily the plug-ins fault?

At any rate, it looks like it's working now. Thanks for looking into
NetBeans free form project issue for FindBugs!

charlie ...