webtier@glassfish.java.net

MKV to DVD, Create DVD from MKV files with Nero on Windows

From: <webtier_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 04:48:06 PDT

Have you ever downloaded a file and waited patiently for it for a long time to get it? But you found that the file’s extension is not an AVI or MPG and it is in fact a MKV file. As we know, MKV file is an alternative to the popular AVI and MP4 formats. And the file format combines several videostreams such as one encoded with Xvid or H.264, audiostreams like AC3 or MP3, subtitles, chapters and information in only one file. MKV files are known for their high quality and their inability to play in most DVD players and media players without plugins.

If you want to play MKV video files directly, just install VLC Player. It is a free and open-source media player for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X, which is powerful to enable to play files of almost every format.

If you want to play MKV files on your DVD players or burn them to DVD on Windows, the following solution may be greatly helpful for you.

First of all, we should know that MKV (Matroska) is a rather exotic format and even the powerful burning software Nero does not have the encoder/decoder to convert the MKV files to a DVD. Therefore, we have to use a third party - [url=http://www.my-video-converter.com/mkv_converter/]MKV Converter[/url] to convert MKV files to Nero workable format and then burn them to DVD with Nero.

In order to get excellent output quality for burning, I suggest you converting MKV to AVI acceptable to Nero since AVI are a lossless format which can ensure the maximum video quality.

[b]Part one: How to convert MKV to AVI with a good MKV Converter?[/b]

After free download this [url=http://www.my-video-converter.com/mkv_converter/]MKV Converter[/url] here, install and run it. Then you can add the MKV files into this program as well as select the output format as AVI. In addition you can set the output files in a specified folder.

[img]http://zyghrz.com/pic/12-22/aviformat.jpg[/img]

Notes: this MKV Converter can add subtitles automatically, just put your MKV subtitle file in the same folder with MKV video and name as the MKV files. If you want to customize output parameters like bitrate, frame rate, resolution, codec, etc, you just need to click the “Settings” button.

Once all the settings you want to set are done, you can click the “Convert” button to start converting.

[b]Part two: How to burn MKV to DVD with Nero?[/b]

After converting [url=http://www.my-video-converter.com/mkv_converter/]MKV to AVI[/url], you can burn into a DVD with Nero. Before that you should make sure that your DVD Drive has DVD + RW or DVD – RW symbol to burn DVD.

[b]Step 1[/b]: Run Nero. Click the “Make Your Own DVD-Video”

[img]http://zyghrz.com/pic/12-22/12-22/nero.jpg[/img]

[b]Step 2[/b]: Select the option “[b]Add Video Files[/b]” in the right-hand control panel to add the AVI files into Nero.

[b]Step 3[/b]: Merge several similar videos into a big one slideshow by clicking the “[b]Merge Titles[/b]” on the left bottom to realize it. Double-click the video you can edit the slideshow as well as use some video transition effects to make the videos lively.

[b]Step 4[/b]: Choose output files path by clicking the “[b]Export[/b]” on the button panel to open a new windows

[b]Step 5[/b]: Set DVD settings by clicking the “[b]Next[/b]” to enter the DVD set up. At the same time, you can customize the DVD menu.

[b]Step 6[/b]: Preview your movie and menu screen functions by clicking the “[b]Next[/b]” again

[b]Step 7[/b]: Go to burning set up after clicking the “[b]Next[/b]” at the third time, here you can adjust your burning speed, and then click the “[b]Burn[/b]” to start to burn MKV to DVD.

Okay, what you need to do now is just to wait and after the burning you will get the DVD for your own. And the burning time depends on your writing speed to a large extent.
[Message sent by forum member 'soonerpap']