webtier@glassfish.java.net

[webtier] Re: Grim or Bright future to JSF

From: Ed Burns <edward.burns_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:15:53 -0700

VV> iconv: (stdin): cannot convert
VV> Hi Jan-Kees,

KJV> JSF doesn't put any restriction on the way you write components. If
KJV> you prefer JSP, FreeMarker or whatever, it can be implemented.

VV> I doubt that current JSF architecture allow adapting for example
VV> FreeMarker as complete replacement for JSP or facelets.

Actually, that sort of thing is *precisely* what we designed the JSF2
View Declaration Language API to do.

JKV> but since 2.0, you can even write components using only markup.

VV> I believe you mean only composite kind of components can be written
VV> using only markup language. You will have hard time to implement
VV> such components as h:inputText or h:selectOneMenu using only markup
VV> language.

The EG reasoning here is: if you can't write everything you need as a
composite component using markup+JavaScript only, depending only on the
HTML_BASIC component set as your base level of JSF UI component, then
composite components need some improvement.

Do you have information to suggest where we need to improve it that I
don't already know about?

Ed