webtier@glassfish.java.net

JSF 2.0: View scoped data should be Serializable?

From: <webtier_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 14:02:59 PDT

I put some non-Serializable data into view scope and got a warning from Glassfish. But, I went back and checked the spec (JSF_20090506.pdf) and couldn't find anywhere that said that it should be Serializable. In fact, I think there needs to be more detailed discussion of view scope in general.

I already make session data Serializable to support distributed sessions and because some servers store serializable session data on disk and reconstitute it when the server is restarted. But I would like some specific guidance in the spec as to why I ought to make view-scoped data Serializable as well.

View scope is a terrific idea, BTW. I suppose it is far too late to consider the possibility of that being the default scope, instead of request?

Cheers-

                                               - Marty
http://www.coreservlets.com
[Message sent by forum member 'martyhall' (hall_at_coreservlets.com)]