webtier@glassfish.java.net

Re: [webtier] f:ajax tag missing in the TLD?

From: Ryan Lubke <Ryan.Lubke_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 20:12:15 -0700

On 8/25/09 7:38 PM, webtier_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
> Hi Ryan,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> Here is my problem:
>
> I have a set of existing applications that are based on JSF with JSP-style pages. I need to replace some of HTML components in these application with Flex-based components.
>
> However it is an expensive operation to instantiate Flex player that causes long visible delays and flicker (I assume the same goes for any other object-based component), so I need to avoid refreshing the whole page for intra-page events.
>
> I hoped to put the whole page contents for relevant pages into<f:ajax> tags so that intra-page updates keep existing instance of Flex player instead of re-creating it for each event, with all the flicker and delays.
>
> Is it something JSF 2.0 would be able to provide for?
>
> As I said, I do not see<f:ajax> tag available in the current release at all, despite it is present in JSF 2.0 specification.

It's not exposed in JSP (i.e. it's a feature that isn't supported in
JSP). It's only available in JSF 2.0 Facelets [1].

If you need to ajaxify existing JSP+JSF applications, you'll need to use
a component set that offers such services within JSP or use something a
little more low-level such as ajax library provided by jsf-extensions [2].

[1]
https://javaserverfaces.dev.java.net/nonav/docs/2.0/pdldocs/facelets/index.html
[2] https://jsf-extensions.dev.java.net