webtier@glassfish.java.net

Re: [webtier] Rendering of javascript on[click|change|*] event handlers

From: Ed Burns <Ed.Burns_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 08:48:00 -0700

JD> On 7/11/09 12:15 AM, webtier_at_javadesktop.org wrote:

SL> I am often working with frontend developers saying, they would not
SL> like to introduce JSF into a project because of rendering of
SL> components. Indeed some of the more complex components have
SL> renderers that produce very "oldschool" or deprecated html (nested
SL> tables is a common example). Well, if you can abandon the usage of
SL> these components... no problem at all.

JD> Sadly, the spec is pretty clear about how those tags should be rendered,
JD> so there's little we can do without badly breaking existing code. But
JD> yeah, I feel the same twinge of annoyance every time I see that.

Don't forget, you can easily override any of the renderers in the
standard-html renderkit and your one will automatically be used instead
of the one supplied by the JSF implementation.

For example, if you don't like how we violate WCAG guidlines in our
implementation of the javax.faces.Panel javax.faces.Grid renderer [1],
it is trivial to override it and do your own thing. All existing JSF
books, including mine, and also the J2EE tutorial cover how to do this.

You can override as many or as few renderers in this way. This feature
is a core part of JSF and has been present since 1.0.

[1] https://javaserverfaces.dev.java.net/nonav/docs/2.0/renderkitdocs/index.html