webtier@glassfish.java.net

Re: [webtier] JSF 2.0 (Custom Components) And ExtJS

From: Jim Driscoll <Jim.Driscoll_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 12:10:56 -0800

Writing some examples of using the JSF Ajax stuff with an external
library is something that's on my "finish by JavaOne" list.

Here's what you need to know:

If the library contains functions that operate on data (like the $ op or
other such things) they'll work just fine.

If the library contains functions that manipulate the page (for
instance, in creating a new div), or does its own Ajax calls, then they
should work OK, provided that you're careful with them - JSF won't know
about things contained inside them, you'll have to either write a
bridge, or keep them separate from the JSF data model.

One task I hope to accomplish in the next couple months is to write a
few JSF composite components that wrap an Ajax library's components
(though I was looking at the YUI stuff as the one I was going to try).

You also might want to take a peek at jMaki, they do a lot of component
wrapping already, and that makes it a little easier to embed things into
JSF.

Hope this helps.

Jim