webtier@glassfish.java.net

Re: [webtier] Inserting a <!-- comment --> before doctype in generated facelets .xhtml file?

From: Jim Driscoll <Jim.Driscoll_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 16:19:16 -0700

Wikipedia also says that IE'll enter quirks mode if you simply leave the
doctype declaration off entirely, or change it to be invalid:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quirks_mode

Not sure if that helps you at all, as I don't have time to test...

IIRC, DOCTYPE is specified in the xml spec as being the mandatory first
element, so inserting a comment is just a way of telling IE that you're
not going to give it anything it should trust.

Jim