users@glassfish.java.net

NullPointerException from inside proxy: logging of proxy operations?

From: Laird Nelson <ljnelson_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 11:23:24 -0400

I am staring at something quite bizarre in my debugger.

I have a local EJB injected thusly into another EJB:

  @EJB
  private FooProcessor fooProcessor;

In a method that I am debugging through, I do this:

  assert this.fooProcessor != null;

Assertions are enabled; this test passes.

Then immediately following that assertion I do this:

  this.fooProcessor.someMethod();

A NullPointerException is raised from that line. The stack originates from
that line. No GlassFish internals show up in the stack. The EJB that
implements this interface (a @Local bean) is never entered. All I can
conclude is that the proxy code somewhere is throwing a
NullPointerException and the stack is being lost. I cannot reproduce this
in a unit test.

Is there a logging level I can turn on to hopefully discover what is going
on?

GlassFish 3.1.2.2; no deployment errors.

Best,
Laird

--
http://about.me/lairdnelson