users@glassfish.java.net

Neet help getting started

From: Blake McBride <blake_at_arahant.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 07:39:19 -0500

Greetings,

I am a long time tomcat user evaluating glassfish 3.1.2.2. I imagine that
following the instructions would be an easy way to get things going,
however, the glassfish method of setup runs contrary to what I think is
normal (or even possible) in most environments. I'm sure I am missing
something simple. Here are my problems.

I understand that glassfish has a gui install. The problem is that most
places I would install glassfish are linux servers without X11. It seems
that I would therefore prefer the zip install. I did that.

I presume the setup is done through the management console. The problem is
that the management console is run at port 4848. I perform my installs
remotely over SSH. Most clients I would install for have hefty firewalls
and hefty security policies that would disallow port 4848, period. Tomcat
has its management console over the same port as the application just using
a different URL. This means I can manage tomcat at the same port as my app
by just adding "/admin" to the end of my application URL (for example).

The second problem I have is that (since I installed with a zip file)
nothing has been configured. When I try to access tha management console I
get: Configuration Error Secure Admin must be enabled to access the DAS
remotely.

I need to be able to set a password and configure the management console
through some text base config files before I even start glassfish up.

So, as you can see I am having a problem with the most basic stuff. I
looked on the net briefly and I have Heffelfinger's book but neither
answered these most basic questions.

Thanks for the help!

Blake McBride