users@glassfish.java.net

Add-ons of Glassfish

From: Etienne Pretorius <icewolfhunter_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 19:51:32 +0200

Hello List,

I am interested of using GlassFish for non-HTTP based protocols.

After some research, I have found that the proper way of implementing a non-HTTP based protocol that would require me to open sockets on the host system is to create a Custom container. This makes perfect sense since the Container is the one providing the Servlet with the messages of the doGet and doPost in the HttpServlet implementation. I found the following document to assist me with this process ( http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18930_01/html/821-2415/ghpjl.html#scrolltoc ).

I would like to know more from an overview how the Container, Deployer and ApplicationContainer fit together. I have come across glassfish-play on github, sailfin (pre v3 implementation), a jRuby Container ... and I am not seeing the light of day... (very little comments and I do not have a big picture overview hence I can not see where the pieces fit together).

Could someone please just tell me how this fits together :) ... Context seems to elude me at this moment.

Kind Regards,
Etienne Pretorius