users@glassfish.java.net

Connection Pool monitoring data - spooky math?

From: <forums_at_java.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 13:31:11 -0500 (CDT)

I'm posting this to the forums, since my email to users_at_glassfish.java.net
has gone without any replies. I'm not sure where to find it either. So I'll
try this. I'm in the process of migrating an existing system to glassfish
3.1.2.2 At this point, we're trying to get the bean pool's & connection pools
tuned appropriately for our apps. I've enabled high monitoring server-wide,
and started running some normal usage pattern test cases on our servers. I'm
accustomed to C3P0 connection pools, which are really easy to instrument and
gauge your pool resource usage. With C3P0 the most pertinent data points we
monitor when tuning the app are: numConnections (current pool size)
numBusyConnections (number of connections currently in use) maxPoolSize
(maximum size of pool) minPoolSize (min / steady pool size) It looks like the
analogous values in GF monitoring would be: NumConnCreated - NumConnDestroyed
= current pool size NumConnUsed = number of connections currently in use And
then I could read the min / max off the pool's config. The problem that I
have, is that the numbers I'm seeing in the GF monitoring data don't make
sense! For instance, right now I have NumConnFree = -3989, and NumConnUsed =
4000, on a pool that's configured with a maximum connection size of 75. How
can the number of free connections in the pool be a _negative_ number, and
how can NumConnUsed be so high? Am I reading the intent of these metrics
incorrectly because I'm expecting to be able to see the current state of the
pool rather than just hit counters?

--
[Message sent by forum member 'bvarner']