users@glassfish.java.net

Re: maven / remote EJB client for deployment in JBoss AS?

From: Kristian Rink <kr_at_zimmer428.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 08:48:18 +0100

Hi Richard;

and first off, thanks a bunch for your comments.

Am Mittwoch, 14. November 2012, 09:33:38 schrieb Richard Kolb:
> I see nobody has responded yet.

No, unfortunately not. Already used to post this question on the glassfish
java.net forums [1] a while ago, but either no one knows or the thing I'd like
to achieve is simply undoable. For that matter, these days I mostly use
RESTful services or, at times, SOAP for communicating with things inside the
'fish, but in a given requirement I wanted for something faster that doesn't
eventually depend upon HTTP. Generally, EJB remoting seems good at this, yet
in our case, it seems just pure infrastructure issues making this extremely
difficult to use. :|

> This is a solution/workaround for JAR hell in Maven:
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-shade-plugin/

Thanks, I'll have a look at it. Actually, so far I tried the most obvious
approach (adding the gf-client pom and manually excluding all but the jars
required for the client) - however bottom line seems it's impossible to figure
out _which_ jars in gf-client pom are _absolutely_ required and which can be
safely left out without trashing things. Yet, despite knowing even some of the
books out there on Glassfish Java EE development make use of maven2 for
building its tutorials, seems this use case (remote EJB clients) has somehow
got lost all along the way, and this question seems regularly popping up on
stackoverflow et al so I was hoping for someone out of Oracle / the Glassfish
team to shed some light on that. ;)

Cheers and all the best,
Kristian

[1]http://www.java.net/forum/topic/glassfish/glassfish/glassfishv3-ejb-