users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Cluster Glassfish on Vmware VMs. (validate-multicast failed)

From: Fialli Joe <joe.fialli_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 10:38:54 -0500

On 11/9/12 4:20 AM, Thomas CATTY wrote:
> Hello Shreedhar, Hi everybody,
>
> Is there a known issue with using Gassfish 3.1.2.2 clustering on Vmware ?
> In a nutshell, in my DEV environment I have 1 physical server and 4
> Vms on it (all running Debian 6)
> On one VM, I have DAS with the by default localhost domain and on 2
> others VM I have 2 other GF 3.1.2.2 installed.
> (on the fourth VM, iPlanet Webserver 7 for loadbalancing).
> What I did, in a very easily way, is to create a cluster (with the
> basic commands) and then create some SSH nodes from the DAS on the 2
> others GF.
> All happens well, always. I have any problem, to ping the different
> hosts, in and outside Glassfish.
> *Yet, the validate-mulitcast command with or without options behind
> has never worked, even on loopback !
> *

Virtual machines have their own network interfaces, different than
native OS network interfaces. It is can be non trivial to configure
multicast to work
in such environments. Default glassfish clustering relies on multicast
will not work if the validate-multicast commmand does not work.
The utility is simply java multicast and it is a tool for a network
administrator to configure multicast to ensure that it is configured
properly
in an environment. If that is not working, default glassfish clustering
will not work.

I can refer you to the following documentation links to assist you:
Group Management Service -
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26576_01/doc.312/e24934/clusters.htm#gjfnl

To Validate That Multicast Transport is available for a Cluster :
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26576_01/doc.312/e24934/clusters.htm#gklhd
(you still need to understand how to configure exisiting network
interfaces so multicast is enabled across virtual machines, we do not
document how to enable multicast and to get it working for all OS and
Virtual Machine configurations.
We provide a tool that verifies the network interfaces are configured
properly so multicast is verified to be working properly as the network
is configured
and physically configured.)

If you are not able to configure multicast to work in such an
environment, I recommend trying clustering in non-multicast mode.
Discovering a Cluster When Multicast Transport is Unavailable.
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26576_01/doc.312/e24934/clusters.htm#CHDGAIBJ
This mode does not require multicast to work between the virtual
machines but it does require some configuration as described in the
documentation.

When there are multiple network interfaces and the system is not
selecting the proper one by default,
one can override the default network interface description using the
following:
Using the Multi-Homing Feature With GMS:
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26576_01/doc.312/e24934/clusters.htm#gjdlw

-Joe Fialli