users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Very Odd behavior of LifeRay on Glassfish 3.0.1

From: Roel_D <openindiana_at_out-side.nl>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 19:11:43 +0200

What is your OS?

And with 50k visitors, how many glassfish theads do you use?

I run some selfwritten portlets that at some point create 500+ simultanious mysql connections but haven't seen your behaivior.

If you can test a copy of your webserver then i would suggest to try neoload. They have extremely good software to stresstest your webserver. ( i have once tested it and pretty impressed. I have no connection with them)
You can then maybe find the causes without interupting user experience.

Kind regards,

The out-side

Op 28 sep. 2012 om 18:38 heeft Pete Helgren <pete_at_valadd.com> het volgende geschreven:

> Thanks. Yes, it DOES seem extremely bizarre and right now I am trying to run down some leads that might indicate an issue the the MySQL database, although that is a stretch. I need to understand the mechanism/architecture of how LR identifies and retrieves resources. The server is front-ended with Apache but I can't imagine that that is the issue either.
>
> It is all very strange. I just wish I knew where to start diagnosing the issue. I am sure that somewhere something is mis-configured or corrupted...I just don't know where.
>
> Pete Helgren
> Value Added Software, Inc
> www.petesworkshop.com
> GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java
>
> On 9/27/2012 11:45 PM, Roel_D wrote:
>> Although i use liferay on glassfish for years now i have never seen this behaivior. I have used 6.0.5 and now run 6.1.0, so i have no 6.0.6 knowledge.
>>
>> What i do know is that running this couple with OpenJDK on opensuse gave me very strange behaivior. Some options didn't work or gave extreme loadtimes.
>>
>> I now use the oracle JDK and this gives the best performance in speed and useability.
>>
>> If you did use openjdk and want to start with JDK make sure you delete all domain1/generated and tmp/liferay files. I forget that you will see even more strange behaivior.
>>

>> Kind regards,
>>
>> The out-side
>>
>> Op 28 sep. 2012 om 01:14 heeft Pete Helgren <pete_at_valadd.com> het volgende geschreven:
>>
>>> This is a duplicate of what went to the Development list (which may have been a mistake on my part)....
>>>
>>> I have posted this over on the LifeRay forum but after a few days of no
>>> response a little research led me over here in hopes that someone might
>>> have a clue as to where I can begin unraveling this problem. The problem
>>> is that we are seeing the following random occurrences on LifeRay 6.0.6
>>> that runs on Glassfish 3.0.1:
>>>
>>> 1) HTML and Javascript being presented as text to the end user.
>>> 2) Screens of "garbage" where a page displays what looks to be binary data.
>>> 3) Clicking on a link or a button and having a resource begin to