users@glassfish.java.net

what settings might kill a long running JDBC connection?

From: <modjklist_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 18:54:11 +0000 (UTC)

I have an application server running a Java method communicating to an Oracle 11.2 database stored procedure using a GlassFish 3.1.2 JNDI connection pool.

The stored procedure polls the database to determine when a process completes and then returns results to the calling Java method. This process may take some time to complete (minutes to hours).

I'm worried that some (perhaps default) setting within GlassFish (such as JNDI settings) will kill the connection before the stored procedure completes.

What are the issues that could effect this and how to access their settings to change them to something appropriate for this scenario? Any downside to doing so?

I'm using the database stored procedure to poll the database to avoid wasting resources sending traffic from the application server to the database server and back again. Although I suppose having the Java method (instead of the stored procedure) poll the database, while less efficient, would prevent anything closing this connection.

Any comments appreciated. Thanks in advance, GKK