users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Glassfish 3.1.2 and Centos 6 (RHEL6) Support

From: <forums_at_java.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 08:02:48 -0600 (CST)

Hi Alexis,
Thanks for the update regarding the upcoming certification matrix.
Technically, Centos is built from the Red Hat source code but with different
branding, so theoretically Centos 5 is compatible (by default), just not
"officially" by Sun. From now on I'll just refer to Red Hat (RHEL) but I
understand where you're coming from.
As for the grief I've had trying to run the updatetool (from Glassfish 3.1.1)
on RHEL6.2 the error message is shown at the bottom of this mail (I know
RHEL6 isn't supported yet but that's why i tried and wonder when it will).
The main part in the error message for me was this bit:
/"On RedHat 4 (and other RPM based systems), you may
need to add multiple 'compat' runtime library packages. Please see the
Update Center Release Notes for more information"/
Fair enough! Looked up the*release notes* [1] to find out which ones were
needed:
/Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5            x86 (32- and 64-bit)
On 64-bit x86, first install these 32-bit compatibility rpms:
    compat-libstdc++
    compat-libgcc
    32-bit libidn (the one with i386 in the RPM name)/
Form what i can glean, it seems that 64 bit RHEL will let 32 bit and 64 bit
libraries coexist as long as they share the same version no. e.g. my RHEL6.2
has the following:
libstdc++.i686       4.4.6-3.el6    and
libstdc++.x86_64     4.4.6-3.el6
However, as it says in the release notes above I need the i386 versions.
That's where my problems lie because i couldn't get my libraries to downgrade
(didn't really want to either cos it caused all other dependency hell
problems) to accomodate the version number of the EL5 (i386) compat libraries
i found on the Oracle Public Yum. If anyone can suggest a way to make these
co-exist in a RHEL6 64 bit system then that'd be great. In the meantime i've
just setup RHEL 5.7 with Glassfish 3.1.2 and everything works rosy (apart
from the updatetool not liking the uk GB locale; hey ho).

Cheers
WX import error.  Verify the WX widgets are in the PYTHONPATH.
The following can be reported to GlassFish Update Tool 2.3.4 Development Team
<dev_at_updatecenter.java.net>.
Traceback (innermost last):
  File
"/root/glassfish3/updatetool/vendor-packages/updatetool/common/boot.py", line
283, in init_app_locale
    import wx
  File "wx/__init__.py", line 45, in ?
  File "wx/_core.py", line 4, in ?
 ImportError: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory
There was an error running
/root/glassfish3/pkg/python2.4-minimal/bin/python
You are running on a 64 bit Linux distribution and the 32 bit Linux
compatibility libraries do not appear to be installed. In order to use
the Update Center tools you must install the 32 bit compatibility libraries.
On Ubuntu (and possibly other Debian based systems) please install the
ia32-libs package. On RedHat 4 (and other RPM based systems), you may
need to add multiple 'compat' runtime library packages. Please see the
Update Center Release Notes for more information

[1]
https://wikis.oracle.com/display/updatecenter/Release+Notes+for+Update+Center+2.3

--
[Message sent by forum member 'tequilamaya']