users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Looking for info on proxying GlassFish with Apache?

From: <forums_at_java.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 19:18:55 -0500 (CDT)

Alexey,

Thanks.  However, as I said in my post, when we switched just that one
<Location> section in the Apache httpd.conf from using the WL plugin to using
ProxyPass/ProxyPassReverse, we no longer saw the 30.0x pause for getting the
.js files under those URIs, even without having to use the ttl on the
ProxyPass directive.

I am always uncomfortable when something works when I don't understand WHY it
works, so what I'm really trying to figure out is:  What was it about the
communication between the Apache and the GF 3.1.1, when using the WL Plugin
for Apache, that caused those 30.0x second pauses?

I've checked the WL Plugin debug logging, and what I see in those logs is:

- Apache gets the request

- WL Plugin passes the request through to GF

- GF appears to send the response back to WL Plugin

- WL Plugin sends some response headers back to client (the browser, FF 3.6
in this case)

- Then, there's a 30 second gap in the WL Plugin log

- Then, we see a msg in the WL Plugin log that says "canRecycle status=304
clen=-1"

That last WL Plugin log line is, I think, saying that the WL Plugin was
closing the connection to GF, but there's not info about why it took 30 secs
to get to that point, i.e., no errors, and nothing about the WL Plugin timing
out.

I've spent much time trying to diagnose this, but with no success.  At this
point, I guess that we just have to live with having to use mod_proxy for
proxying the .js static files, and not understanding why :(...

Thanks again,

Jim

[quote=oleksiys]Hi Jim, if you use mod_proxy, try to specify ttl param like:
ProxyPass / ajp://127.0.0.1:8009/ ttl=60 or try mod_jk, which supposed to be
more stable. WBR, Alexey. On 03/23/2012 02:29 AM, forums_at_java.net wrote: >
Hi, > > I posted the above several months ago, and never got any responses,
but > wanted to provide some additional info in case it might help anyone in
> the > future. > > We've been using the WebLogic Plugin for Apache for
proxying to GF > 3.1.1 for > awhile, and it's generally been working fine,
until recently, we > encountered > a problem when we had the GF serving some
static .js files. The problem > that we ran into was even though some of
those .js files were a > variety of > sizes, including some that were quite
small, on some of them (specific > .js > files), we were seeing consistent
load times of 30.0x seconds, whereas > other > .js file file would load in
millisecs. > > We were kind of thrashing around, and we finally tried
switching the > section in the Apache that was proxying one of the URI >
roots to > use mod_proxy instead of the WebLogic Plugin. Then, when we tested
after > bouncing the Apache sefver, no more 30.0x second load times for
anything. > Everything was fast. > > I've tried switching to mod_proxy on
another test system where I had been > able to simulate the 30 second load
time earlier, but on this second > system, > switching to mod_proxy caused a
50x error instead. > > So, I'm kind of coming to the conclusion that there is
something > "strange" > with GF 3.1.1 on Windows 64-bit, in the area of
communications > (HTTP/HTTPS) > handling. I don't know what that is, but
thought that I'd post this info > here, in case it helps anyone else. > >
Later, > > Jim > > > -- > > [Message sent by forum member 'jimcpl'] > > View
Post: http://forums.java.net/node/882878 > >[/quote]

--
[Message sent by forum member 'jimcpl']