users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Cannot run program "keytool": java.io.IOException

From: <forums_at_java.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 04:20:42 -0600 (CST)

Sathyan,

thanks for replying.

We are on SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 10, and I installed JDK 1.6.0_31 RPM.
I expected that the rpm installation scripts would take care of adjusting
PATH and JAVA_HOME, as the readme -
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/install-linux-64-rpm-141906.html
- did not call for any postinstallation procedures.
But I see: the install guide of glassfish says "Before performing any
GlassFish Server installation, ensure that your environment adheres to the
JDK guidelines in “Paths and Environment Settings for the JDK Software”
in GlassFish Server Open Source Edition 3.1-3.1.1 Release Notes.", and the
release notes say "Before performing any GlassFish Server installation or
configuration procedures, set the JAVA_HOME environment variable on the
GlassFish Server host machine to point to the correct Java version. Also be
sure to add the JAVA_HOME/bin directory to the PATH variable for your
environment. The JAVA_HOME variable must be set on all local and remote
GlassFish Server hosts."
Interesting alternative: "Alternatively, you can specifically set the Java
path with the AS_JAVA property in the in the
as-install-parent/glassfish/config/asenv.conf file."
But the PATH still needs to include /usr/java/default/bin, otherwise keytool
is not found.
OK, this was a RTFM case, sorry!
Regards, Tom

--