users@glassfish.java.net

Multiinstance Appliciation architecture and deployment in GlassFish app

From: <forums_at_java.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 05:02:57 -0600 (CST)

Normal 0 21 false false false PL X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /*
Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm
5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New
Roman","serif";}

I need to setup a hosting environment for around 100 customers per one
GlassFish server (v 3.1).

Each customer needs custom configured application that can be run
independently from each other. (JDBC, JMS, possibility to restart single app)

Running single virtual machine would be preferred, as launching 100 JVMs each
using 750MB of RAM doesn’t sound like a good idea.

So far I have tested the following solutions, but unfortunately, neither of
these has met my requirements:

1. Deploying application on separate Domains. This solution was insufficient
because of JVM Ram usage and complexity of running multiple management
consoles on multiple ports (we don’t need that much separation)

2. Deploying application on multiple instances (named targets on Glassfish)
on the same domain. This solution was insufficient because it creates
separate JVM process for each instance and consumes too much RAM (several
hundred MB for each instance). Otherwise it was closest to what we need.

3. Deploying application on multiple virtual hosts on the same instance. This
solution was unacceptable because in Glassfish each virtual server doesn't
have a separate configuration.

Can anyone suggest what is the best practice / recommendation for using
GlassFish to host multiple application instances? Are we “doomed” to
reserve 1GB of ram per customer? Coming from IIS environment, we had separate
Application Pools each using 3-5MB of RAM at startup.

Thanks.

--
[Message sent by forum member 'olg']