users@glassfish.java.net

Resource re-scoping in standalone instances

From: <forums_at_java.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 18:10:39 -0600 (CST)

 Not sure if this would make sense or not but this is what I want to achieve

1) I have one application that I want to run in a couple servers. The best
option for me seems to be to use "standalone instances" so I can give the
operations folks the change to have one single point of administration.

2) The application needs to connect to a couple of databases and that is the
kicker here. I want "standalone instance" to connect to database A and B,
"standalone instance" to connecto to database C and D. The app of course only
knows its JDBC resource name which I want to have hard-coded say
"jdbc/sourceDatabase", "jdbc/targetDatabase".

3) I noticed that the the resources can be deployed to a given target but
what I want to do is to say "jdbc/sourceDatabase" uses "sourceDatabaseA"
connection pool in target "1" and "jdbc/sourceDatabase" uses
"sourceDatabaseC" in target 2. OR the jdbc resource always points to the same
connection pool name but the connection parameters change based on which
environment is running. Is there a way. Assuming I can do the latter, if I
were to create system properties for each "standalone instance" is there a
way to use them in the connection pool "Additional Properties"?

Not sure if all this makes sense.

Of course I make the app so it can be configured with the resource names it
has to use for the jndi lookup but that kills things like resource injection
(@Resource) and I think it will be error prone for the administrators to
setup since they would have to keep things in sync in the app configuration
and the actual server configuration.

Thanks!

--
[Message sent by forum member 'el_eduardo']